Happy New Year! How’s it going? By now some of us have tried and failed to implement new habits. Have you felt frustration, guilt, shame? You are in the same club as many others; no worries—God is the God of second chances. Even though you may be hard on yourself, God is ready and willing to help you get up and start over again. Each Sunday afternoon, my radio program, “The Oasis,” heard on 88.3 Life FM, is from 12 to 6 p.m. On yesterday’s show, I focused on encouragement and praying for those who have already failed to follow through with their commitments.
Refuse to let last year define you. Go forward even if the path ahead is unclear. With God, the possibilities are endless. Maybe you have set your goals too high? Ask yourself, “What does God want me to accomplish? Am I relying on His strength? How does He want me to glorify Him through my time, talent, treasure?” I hope this helps as we begin this year for the glory of God! Go. Risk. Believe.
Here are a few of my thoughts about this year ahead:
- Love God. “Jesus replied, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” Matthew 22:37–38
- Be still. “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted above the earth.” Psalm 46:10
How do we accomplish these goals? “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” Matthew 19:26
- “Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” Psalm 62:8
- “For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:3–5
- “Fix your thoughts on what is true, good, and right.” Philippians 4:8 TLB
- “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardace, of craven and fawning fear) but (he has given us a spirit) of power and of love and of a calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.” 2 Timothy 1:7 AMP
- “You will keep I perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.” Isaiah 26:3
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” —Mark Twain
- “Therefore if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” 2 Corinthians 5:17
- “Did you know that if you eat right and exercise YEAR round . . . you won’t have to do RESETS & CHALLENGES . . . if you eat SUPER SUPER healthy Sunday evening through Saturday noon, taking off Saturday evening meal through Sunday lunch, get RIGHT back on your GOOD healthy eating and healthy exercising plan. You won’t have to have NEW YEARS resolutions.” —Charise Richards, Zumba Instructor
- “Put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge and in the image of its Creator.” Colossians 3:10
- “Therefore as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.” Colossians 3:12–14
- Love this New Year advice from Kay Arthur: “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.” —2 Timothy 2:15
3 Goals for the New Year:
- Make your #1 life goal to obtain God’s approval in all that you do.
- Work with such diligence that you are not ashamed of the quality of your work.
- Present the gospel accurately by not perverting or distorting it either verbally or in your lifestyle! Are you up for it?
“Trust the Lord completely . . . in everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (TLB)
I am praying for you, friend.
All my love, Sheryl