JULY 26, 2017
Welcome to Worldwide Wednesday Day! U – Pray for Uganda –
Here are a few prayer points for my trip:
7/26 Weds – 4:40 pm Sheryl departs Bakersfield, CA on Airport Valet Bus to LAX
-11:45 pm Sheryl departs LAX on Ethiopian AL FLT 0505
7/28 Fri – 12:15 pm Sheryl arrives Entebbe, Uganda Ethiopian AL FLT 0332
7/29 Sat – 9:00 am Sheryl prepares for teaching Discipleship Course/Vacation Bible School
7/30 Sun – 10:00 am Sheryl attends church/prepares for beginning Discipleship Course 7/31
7/31 Mon – 9:00 am Discipleship Course – Day 1 at Africa Theological Seminary, Tororo, Uganda
8/1 Tues – 9:00 am Discipleship Course – Day 2 at ATS Tororo, Uganda
8/2 Weds –9:00 am Discipleship Course – Day 3 at ATS Tororo, Uganda
8/3 Thurs – 9:00 am Discipleship Course – Day 4 at ATS Tororo, Uganda
8/4 Fri – 9:00 am Vacation Bible School – Day 1 – Kimbilio School – The Good Shepherd
8/5 Sat – 9:00 am VBS – Day 2 – Kimbilio School – The Paralytic Man
8/6 Sun – 2:00 pm VBS – Day 3 – Kimbilio School – The Man Healed of Leprosy
8/7 Mon – 6:25 pm Sheryl departs Entebbe, Uganda Ethiopian AL FLT 0335
8/8 Tues – 9:25 am Sheryl arrives LAX Ethiopian AL FLT 0504
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. Remain in me and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.” John 15:1, 4
Sheryl, Grace and Cor Koelewjin will join together with Josh and Mandy Shaarda, Freedom in Christ missionaries in Obulle, Uganda.
- Pray our team will be spiritually dependent on God’s word to teach and train.
- Pray for those hearing God’s word to understand and submit to God’s will.
- Pray for total and complete freedom in Christ as God uncovers areas of deception.
- Pray the hearers will learn strategies to renew their minds and they will break free from negative thinking and unhealthy behavior patterns.
“Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things from your law.” Psalm 119:18
“For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God…For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:6-7
REPUBLIC OF UGANDA
Much of the land is fertile and well watered. The climate is temperate in the highlands.
Long known as the “Pearl of Africa”.
CHALLENGES FOR PRAYER
Uganda has worked hard to recover from the devastation of the Amin and Obote years and has made great strides to this effect. Pray for peace both regionally (Congo-DRC, Kenya, Sudan, Horn of Africa) and internally (Lord’s Resistance Army). Pray that the government might exercise its authority with even-handed honesty and a true concern for its own people.
Christian support ministries:
- The Bible Society has done much to promote new Bible translations and to publish Bibles, but sales are less than what they were in the 1980s. All Christian literature ministries are similarly crippled, but The Bible Society, Gideons and others distribute several hundred thousand Bibles and NTs every year. Thirteen languages remain without God’s Word and a further 18 have only part of the Bible. SIL is assisting in this ministry task. Pray for the provision of Scriptures to all, in their own language.
- Audio Scriptures and teaching are vital due to poverty, illiteracy, the widespread oral culture and unstable conditions.
- MAF’s flying programme has blessed many – their planes enable ministries to serve churches, refugees, health and vaccination programs, development work and many others. MAF’s work focuses on the least developed, most vulnerable and insecure regions such as the northeast.
- The JESUS film is available online in at least 40 languages. Pray for Life Ministry, COTN and other teams showing the film around the country.
- Christian radio and TV programmes air on the national network and are growing in impact and influence. Evangelical presence is felt through seven FM radio stations and two TV stations, although such influence is more significant in Kampala than in the countryside. Pray for effective programming and lasting fruit.
Pray for restoration and healing after years of war and conflict.
Pray for the Church and its leaders to be rooted in truth and unswayed by false teachings and cultural sins.
Pray for a Biblical perspective on marriage and sexuality.
The name Idi Amin may sound familiar.
It is infamously linked to the nation of Uganda, which underwent a brutal 8-year period of violence under his presidency in the 1970’s. It is estimated that roughly 300,000 may have died under his reign of terror.
Life in Uganda has not been easy even since then.
Two military coups in the mid-1980’s have been followed by the 23-year rule of President Museveni, who has done much to rebuild the Ugandan economy. Peace, however, has yet to firmly take hold in the nation.
For the past 23 years, Uganda has struggled against the brutal Lord’s Resistance Army, a rebel group based in Sudan. An estimated 30,000 children have been abducted to serve as child solders or sex slaves. Up to 1.8 million people in northern Uganda have been displaced due to violence and the fear of child abduction.
Despite all of this, the church in Uganda is large and the response to the gospel has been substantial. Yet the church also battles against widespread nominal-ism, false teaching and corruption.
We need to pray for the restoration of a country left riddled by years of war and terror, and also for the revival of a church so badly needed to shine the pure light of the gospel.
In closing, think about this. How would we want people to pray for us if we were among the millions in Uganda, destitute both physically and spiritually? Let’s pray like that today.
Thank you for your prayers for us as we minister in Uganda!
Sheryl and Team