Family strife? Feel disconnected with your parents or siblings? Differences of opinion? Are you down in the dumps? Maybe a little depressed? You wonder if family harmony will ever be restored? Restoration and revival in the relationships closest to you can be accomplished by following this five-step recipe:
- Dash of submission – James 4:7 “Submit yourselves then to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” When we surrender to God, we allow him to lead us and provide for our relationships.
- 4 cups of communication – Ephesians 4:26 “Be angry and sin not.” Be honest about what you are disappointed about. Share the things you are angry about. Talk it out. Listen.
- A teaspoon of compromise – Song of Solomon 2:15 “Catch of us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards.” Meet each other in the middle; negotiate.
- A pinch of understanding – Proverbs 17:27 “A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, a man of understanding is even-tempered.” It’s a choice to want to understand people. We might not approve their unwise decisions, but we want to empathize with them so we can walk alongside in their time of need.
- A tablespoon of forbearance – Ephesians 4:1-3”Live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace.” We can offer love, patience, and nurture with a spirit of unity through the grace Jesus offers to us.
Father, help me to follow the recipe for relational renewal. Blend the ingredients together with your presence. I pray for restoration, renewal, and revival. In Jesus’ name, amen.