Family strife? Feel disconnected with your parents or siblings? Differences of opinion? Are you down in the dumps? Maybe a little depressed? You wonder if family harmony will ever be restored? Restoration and revival in the relationships closest to you can be accomplished by following this five-step recipe:
- Dash of submission – James 4:7 “Submit yourselves then to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” When we surrender to God, we allow him to lead us and provide for our relationships.
- 4 cups of communication – Ephesians 4:26 “Be angry and sin not.” Be honest about what you are disappointed about. Share the things you are angry about. Talk it out. Listen.
- A teaspoon of compromise – Song of Solomon 2:15 “Catch of us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards.” Meet each other in the middle; negotiate.
- A pinch of understanding – Proverbs 17:27 “A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, a man of understanding is even-tempered.” It’s a choice to want to understand people. We might not approve their unwise decisions, but we want to empathize with them so we can walk alongside in their time of need.
- A tablespoon of forbearance – Ephesians 4:1-3”Live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace.” We can offer love, patience, and nurture with a spirit of unity through the grace Jesus offers to us.
Father, help me to follow the recipe for relational renewal. Blend the ingredients together with your presence. I pray for restoration, renewal, and revival. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Are you new here? You might want to subscribe to my email updates by inputting your email address in the box on the right sidebar, or follow me on Facebook and Twitter.